I am a professor of Arts and Literature in New York University’s school of the interdisciplinary global liberal arts: Liberal Studies. I am also Director of Digital Humanities for NYU, and associated professor of English.
I began my career as a Junior Research Fellow at Cambridge University, and then worked in Russell Group universities in the U.K. as Junior Lecturer (Assistant Professor), Senior Lecturer (Associate Professor) and then Reader (Full Professor, by research), before coming to NYU.
Twitter: @MarionThain / Email: marion.thain[at]nyu.edu
Areas of Research Interest:
- The 19th century, aestheticism, decadence, modernism;
- ‘lyric’ poetry; poetics; visual arts; interdisciplinary aesthetics;
- technology and the production of cultural knowledge.
Current Collaborative Projects:
- Director of The Victorian Lives and Letters Consortium
- Collaborator on The Affect Project, funded by the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada
- Participant in A History of Distributed Cognition, funded by the Arts and Humanities Research Council, U.K.
Awards, Fellowships, Consultancies:
- Member of the Arts and Humanities Research Council (U.K.) peer-review college, assessing applications for funding in the fields of literature and/or the digital humanities: 2014-17
- Advisory Board member for the Central Online Victorian Educator (publishing peer-reviewed Victorian material), affiliated with the North American Victorian Studies Association.
- Recipient of research-grant awards from the British Academy (U.K.) and the Arts and Humanities Research Council (U.K.) for projects in the fields of literature and/or Digital Humanities
- Visiting Fellowship, University of Cambridge, U.K.
- Junior Research Fellowship, University of Cambridge, U.K.